Useful Advice on How to Write an APA Style Research Paper
The APA formatting guide holds a set of particular requirements for research papers intended to make them recognizable under certain universal standards. Following those requirements helps to make any research paper look more like a solid document and it helps to make it more readable and easier to navigate through. If you want to make a proper research paper, you should:
- Type the research paper on a conventional A4 format paper in a standard Times New Roman, size 12 font, with margins of at least one inch from the edge on all sides, and use double spaces.
- Center the title on the title page. Write your first and last name with a middle name initial in between. Follow that with the name of the university that you have been researching with. Add a page header at the top left, in capital letters, using the first part, or a shortened, less elaborate but still coherent version of the title (no more than 50 characters in total).
- Number all the pages, starting with the abstract page numbered 2, and place the numeration in the upper right corner of the page.
- Use double spaces between the lines in the body of the paper, indenting the first line of each paragraph with the text aligned to the left. Insert the header title on every page in all caps in the upper right corner.
- Make a separate reference page titled “References” (center the title and capitalize the first letter). Arrange references alphabetically by the last name of the author or the title, if the author is unknown. Each reference should hold the author’s last name and initials, as well as the year of publication.
Write a good abstract
- Do not let the abstract exceed 250 words in size.
- Compose the abstract according to the outline of the main paper; it should contain introduction, body and conclusion (discussion is optional).
- Describe only the most important points of your work. A typical abstract is supposed to summarize the paper while being only one page long, giving the reader the opportunity to learn the essential things about the conducted research and its results and conclusions without having to read through a large amount of pages.
- Include a list of keywords from the paper to provide the reader with an easy search option. You should list only the most essential keywords to save time and space.