Ten things I wish I'd known before I started my dissertation
Doing a dissertation project is likely one of the most demanding writing assignments higher education students will complete. As it helps you get closer to obtaining the degree you have always wanted, you may not realize the many challenges that come with it, that is, until you begin the writing journey of getting it completed. More than likely, students who have completed their dissertations have plenty to say on what they wish they knew before they got started. The following may give some ideas on what to expect and what you could possibly avoid.
- I can hire a professional dissertation writer to help me with my project instead of struggling by myself to get it done.
- I needed more time to get it done or how to manage time better to get adequate information.
- Took more time to get a better understanding of the guidelines and qualifications for the project.
- How to plan ahead for needed research and which sources are best to use.
- Plan out a better schedule to work on the dissertation without stress, worrying, frustration and confusion.
- I needed to be better organized in order to get parts of it done in a timely manner without rushing.
- It would be too difficult to try and work on such a demanding assignment while juggling obligations such as work, school, and family needs.
- Need to get better acquainted with the computer printer (when you never thought you had to print so many pages to make sure your content looks the way it’s supposed to). Dealing with paper jams and print ink costs may get nerve racking.
- It takes more time than originally thought to proofread, edit, revise and format the dissertation.
- Finally getting it completed would bring the best sense of accomplishment so far in my academic career.
Other Things to Consider
Planning ahead may include creating an outline to help you work on your content in smaller sections instead of trying to complete large parts at a time. Some students admit they have time management issues and know they could be at a disadvantage. Setting a schedule to work on your content and being focused on following through with it may help you in being more disciplined to get your work done. Consider rewarding yourself at the end with something you want.