Original Essay Topics To Write About
Deciding what to write your essay on can sometimes be the most difficult step of the writing process. If your teacher doesn’t assign a specific topic (or give you a list to choose from), you can spend hours trying to determine what to write about.
However, it doesn’t always have to be this hard. Below, there is a list of 19 interesting essay topics you may want to consider if your professor gives you the option to decide what topic you wish to write about.
- Talk about the effect a parent, teacher, or friend has had on your life.
- Discuss why you selected your major.
- Discuss the pros and cons of online classes.
- Have you experienced racial, sexual, or religious discrimination?
- Should High School graduates take a year off before going to college? If so, why?
- What impact has expansion of man had on the planet’s ecosystem?
- Suppose your teacher wants to offer a new subject for the next handful of weeks. He decides to let the students vote on what that topic should be. What subject should your class choose and why?
- Do you feel media stars (models, actors, etc.) are paid too much? Why?
- Should teachers be subject to uniforms and dress codes at schools where children are?
- Are nuclear weapons war-time deterrents or simply weapons of mass destruction?
- Should schools segregate boy and girls students?
- Is the death penalty and effective crime deterrent?
- Should animal testing be allowed in scientific research? If so, what are some boundaries you would like to see set in place?
- Imagine you lived in a world where rules didn’t existent. You, and everyone around you, could do anything and everything you wanted to. Would that be a good or bad thing?
- Should wealthy nations be required to share their wealth among poorer nations?
- If you had the opportunity to spend a full 24 hours with anyone in the world—past, present, living, dead, fictional or nonfictional—and do anything you wanted to, what would you do?
- The majority of high-level jobs are obtained by men. Should the government be obligated to hold a percentage of these jobs for women?
- How important are fads and trends in today’s society?
- Should we consider populating other planets (Mars) more seriously?